Saturday, January 7, 2012

You Can't Lead If No One Follows

It has taken quite a bit of time to get this blog post written. Mostly because I am still unclear as to what my leadership style is, let alone try and figure out what leadership theory best explains my leadership style.

“... the function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers.” --- Ralph Nader

In the mid 80's I worked for an organization that had every member take the Briggs - Myers assessment.  I wish I could remember what the profile was but along with the profile I was labeled Assertive/ Aggressive personality type.  It has taken many years to learn to be less aggressive and more assertive, but I think I have accomplished the balance.

Since then, in my professional and personal life I have worked from leading through positive example.  In the classroom, as well as out of the classroom, I have attempted to cultivate team environments so that both teachers and colleagues can reach maximum potential.

In 2007 the principal at the high school I worked at brought a consultant to the school and we were given the Briggs - Myers assessment.  I'm sure the one in the 80's and the one a few years ago were different but not by much.   The StrengthsFInder 2.0 places me in the same top two categories as it did in the late90's: Input and Intellection. Finally, Prentice Hall "What's my leadership style?"  places me at high people oriented and high task oriented. Align the numbers to the Blake and Mouton Leadership Grid, and you find the Team Leader quadrant.  

So, perhaps I am closes to transformational?  

Using the five forces of leadership matrix, I find that I have strong tendencies in each of the forces. The power behind teacher leaders is to help facilitate a change or preserve a change in the school culture.  At my current school, that won't be the case.  My head of schools believes in "management by walking around" (her words).  That's what she says but she really manages/ leads by intimidation and fear.  It is her policy that if you see or hear something that goes against what she believes then it is your responsibility to tell her right away. If you don't and she finds out, then she will hold it against you. At a recent meeting the consultant told the group "if you want to meet your life goals just align your goals to the head of schools, and you'll be fine."  

3 comments:

  1. I like your Ralph Nader quote. He is a great American. I think transformational leadership is the most benificial becuase it is really people oriented. We should try to unite people in the school environment. From my experience so far, I think excellent leadership in schools is hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I read about the school you work in currently, the more I hope and pray that I do never end up working in one like that. More so, I do not want to work alongside a principal like your school has. It sounds more like you all work beneathe her, rather than with her. I believe there needs to be a feeling of personal value for all teachers and staff members present, and that each person's individuality and ideas need to be appreciated. There can be no growth or change when everyone is 'walking scared.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacki, I have been teaching since 1993, and I have to say, I have never come across something so hierarchical. I don't know if this is indicative of charter schools in general or if it's just this organization. I will make it back to public education as soon as I can, at least there I know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete