Thursday, December 15, 2011

Do you ever feel like Charlie Brown? Or are you Lucy?

When I think about the power dynamics of my current school, I always feel like Charlie Brown.  I have worked in various schools and school districts, and I have never seen a consultant as embedded at a school as the one we have here.  The consulting organization is asked to supervise staff and provide administrative support.

 Here's another analogy for you.  You tested the Christmas lights and they all worked.  You put them on the tree and when you're done with the decorating of the tree you see a section of the tree doesn't light up but you can't figure out which light bulb needs to be replaced.  That's how it goes here sometimes.

I guess my point is that the power dynamics have nothing to do with a persons position and more about who you know.  Recently, I had a member of the consulting agency tell me that she got the data and made recommendations to student placement.  I was so annoyed by that comment that I said, "well, then you should be the EL specialist. Why do they need me?"  Of course, instead of agreeing with me my supervisor informed me that I was being divisive.  My supervisor also thinks she has the final word but it never ceases to amaze me that when we ask her for something she has to go clear it with the  data manager.  I got in trouble one day because I repeated a comment that some one else made to me, it wasn't a secret but my supervisor was angry... she still brings it up.... the other staff member commented that really the other lady was the principal... she controlled everything... it's just that the principal wouldn't admit it.

So there you have it... the power is in the hands of people with adult agendas, not children.

1 comment:

  1. It often seems leadership within schools is very political. Knowing the right people can help you out. I see some similarities at my school. There is a small group of teachers that are really close to the principal and act like spies to report minor things to her. Sometimes people in leadership roles lose track of having peoples best interest.

    Brad Haas

    ReplyDelete