Friday, November 25, 2011

Personal Growth



I have always been one of those people who ends up in the limelight, good or bad.  No matter what job I take on, I find a way to learn everything and anything that is connected to that job.  You would think this is a good thing, but yet somehow there is always someone that is bothered by what I know and how much I know. If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say to me (with no admiration at all): "How do you know that?"

I have read and watched all the videos for week 1.  I even started this blog early.  I am ready to learn how to take my strengths and weaknesses and use them to become a strong leader.  The truth of the matter is that I can move into a leadership position fairly quickly; that's not my problem.  My problem is staying in the leadership position. Once I am tapped by an administrator as a leader, there is someone ready to disprove my abilities.  I am as much a culprit of that as anyone.  I am my own worst enemy. Hopefully, through this course I will strengthen my personal leadership skills (stop self-sabotaging) and be able to lead from anywhere in the line.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Carmen,
    I am sure that through this course, you will find your strengths and capitalize on them to continue to be a leader for your school. You will learn many skills during this course and build the confidence you desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lisa. I am already a much better person for having started this program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmen - I think we have the same struggle in terms of taking on a teacher leader role. I love to jump right in and take the lead (when needed) and love to get things organized and going. My problem, like yours, is when others do not agree or are not interested in my plan. I am hoping this course and the following courses will help us both in conflict management and also how to not let leadership roles stress us. You already have great leadership strengths so I know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your actions on our team and your dedication to get this accomplished early shows you have great ambition. You will be able to acheive your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the struggle not in getting a leadership role but in maintaining relationships once you are there. I too rose easily to leadership, but the resentment and the backstabbing is relentless in my school. You want to give your best and shine bright, but the negativity that goes with it is hard to take. I agree with the rest of the team. You are meant to do this. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carmen - you and my husband have something in common. He,like you, is a little sponge. Information, when retained, sticks in his brain forever. There is no...'in one ear and out the other'. I am genuinely impressed with his knowledge base being so extensive, and not just because he is my husband...I am truly amazed. I just know that you will find a career avenue where not only are you given the leadership responsibilities that you deserve, but also where you will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete